Sunday, August 11, 2013

Best Morning Routine: Mission Peak and a Sauna

I think one of my favorite things to do is to hike Mission Peak, then grab some breakfast and head over to the Sauna: the perfect wakeup!  BTW: I do not consider any of this really part of my training, mostly pleasure.  But I will probably count the 5 miles in my log, and I do believe Sauna/Steam Room/Spa/Cold pool can aid in recovery.  I'm still undecided about the heat training aspects that are pro-ported.


Today was one of those start out under the clouds, end up over the clouds day.  I love those days!





 Mission Peak is kind of a zoo these days.  It is like an adult playground for the south-east bay.   Consider that the parking lot has room for like twenty cars - that fills up I don't know how early now.  Then there are cars parked on both sides of the residential streets within a mile of the park...at six a.m.!
People from all walks of life and from every breed imaginable - except for white people, for whatever reason.  You wouldn't think that youngsters, say, straight out of high school, would be interested in climbing a mountain at six a.m., but actually I think this might be the best represented demographic I have witnessed.  It is interesting passing three dudes with their sagging basketball shorts and their bandanas with at least one of them blaring some gangster rap from his phone.  Hiking Mission Peak is a cultural and generational experience for sure!

And then another amazing thing I have witnessed for the first time, check this out:


This lady has designed the ultimate core workout:  Combine a 2.5 mile steep uphill hike, 2000 ft of climbing, with hula-hooping.  Straight insane.  The sheer coordination and fitness required to perform this feat is mind-boggling.



1 comment:

  1. I would pay good money to see you attempt the hula-hoop hike.

    ReplyDelete